Wednesday, April 23, 2008

A Wedding

I went to a wedding last weekend. I didn't know the bride or groom; rather, my wife and I are friends of the groom's mother, and she invited us. I must admit, it was really nice to see how happy she was; and how many people were there to share it.

So, it was quite a party. I should have expected it, since it was thrown by two Jewish mothers, but the food was excellent, and extraordinarily plentiful. There was a little chicken and angel hair appetizer that was amazing. And the bar was well stocked. I had a few too many rum-and-cokes, which might explain why I felt the way I did at work all day today.

Getting home at 2am might also help to explain that. I haven't been out that late since college, and I'm really not used to it. The day after the affair, my eyes felt like a pair of cracked ball bearings, and I had aches in places that I'd forgotten I had.

It was worth it, though. My wife and I arranged a sleep over play date for the kids, with some friends of ours, and then we went out had a great time. We drank, we danced, we called a cab to get home.... For a night, we felt like we were 20 again, and it was a wedding, so love was in the air.

I must admit, even though we were there for a friend, and we were thrilled to see her on her great day, I think that the best part of the night for me was getting a chance to just cut loose with my wife. We haven't had a chance to go out and dance since our older daughter was born, and she's almost 5 now. Look at this; I'm even measuring the times of our lives by the ages fo our children! That's a sign that we needed a night like that.

So here's to the newly married couple, and to their unlimited future together, but also, here's to me and my wife, who feel like a couple of kids again!

No comments: