Thursday, April 19, 2007

Poker Night

Last week, a friend of mine called me up, and said that he was starting a poker night. Just a guys' thing, every Thursday night when his wife was went out with her friends. I told him I didn't play poker. I remember his answer:
"So what? Neither does Jeff, but he'll be here. The point is, the Rolling Rock, the Rocky movies, and 3 hours to talk about sex and sports."
Who could resist that? I showed up on Thursday night, at 7, with a six pack of Rolling Rock long-necks, and an unopened deck of cards.
Now, I was expecting a fun evening. I got a bit of a surprise. There were 5 of us there, and we've all known each other since college. Four of us are married, three to our original wives. One is on wife number 3. One is a bachelor. He said after watching Wade's divorces, he didn't think he could afford to give houses to women he doesn't like.
Wade was the poker man, and the whole thing had been his idea to begin with. He dealt the game, and walked us neophytes through it. After two hours and four beers, I didn't really remember the rules, and anyway, we'd run out of matchsticks. Wade had them all. I guess being a neophyte doesn't help on poker night.
All in all, it was a good night. It brought back memories of college dorm bull sessions, and gave us all a chance to pretend that we were 20 again. It was definitely fun enough that we'll make it a regular thing. After all, what can be better than escaping from the daily grind once a week?

No comments: