Thursday, April 5, 2007

Kids Allways Know How to Have Fun

I was watching my kids playing together, and it occurred to me that here are two people who always know how to have fun. They don't need a TV.
The older one is almost 4; she's in charge. The younger is almost 2; she doesn't want to follow. It makes for an interesting dynamic, but there's no fighting, and remarkably little crying. I've even seen them share. Well, I've seen my older daughter share.
Their two favorite games seem to be kitchen and dress up. The kitchen can be set up anywhere; the older one spreads out a cloth (that's the oven/stove/counter), and the younger one puts anything on it (blocks, necklaces, foam letters- it's all food). Then they'll invariably bake a cake. And want the parents to taste it. It's always delicious.
Dress up is even more fun to watch. They have a two piece black dress that was their aunt's dance costume when she was about 6, and now it's a princess dress. The older one likes to pin the big matching bow to her hair. Once they're dressed up, with the elder in the dress and the younger in the jacket, they start accessorizing.
They have a small box of costume jewelery, and they take turns pulling out plastic beaded necklaces and bracelets. By the end of their playtime, I have a hard time finding them under it all. But it sure is fun to try.

No comments: