Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Fixing the Yard

I spent last weekend in the front yard, cleaning it up for the spring and summer.

I'll be blunt: this is not my usual definition of fun. It's definitely not something I'd have chosen to do on my own. But... my wife wanted the yard cleaned, and she wanted a tea-garden on the side of the house, and a landscaper just wasn't in the budget.

So I was out there, raking leaves and twigs, bagging them, and mowing the lawn. And then the fun began: I got to play with the pick-ax.

There was an old flower bed on the side of the house that my wife wanted to have cleared, so that she could plant a tea garden. While she went to Home Depot (or whereever; it might have been English Gardens, it doesn't really matter) to buy topsoil, mulch, and plants, I had the priviledge of wreaking destruction on the overgrown weeds that had taken over this old bed.

Not only did it turn out to be sort of fun, but I got a good workout and a bit of a tan, too. By the time my wife got home, I had the bed cleared, and the old border-stones set back in place. We worked together to put in the topsoil and spread the mulch, and then we got the various herbs (18 plants! what kind of tea does she want?) out of the car and into the ground. By evening, we were watering the new tea garden.

Married couple spring project number X, completed!

No comments: